Hopkins Public Schools, Hopkins West Junior High
Hopkins West Junior High School is located just across the Hopkins border in Minnetonka. It and Hopkins North Junior High School were the first middle schools in the state to receive the Blue Ribbon National Schools of Excellence award from the U.S. Department of Education. It was also named one of the "100 Highly Effective Middle Level Schools" in the nation by the National Association of Secondary School Principals.
The school offers a rigorous education in the core subjects--English, math, science, social studies and reading--but also has an extensive variety of other subjects, including courses in fine arts, technical education and family and consumer sciences. Students can study French, Spanish and German or participate in band, orchestra or choir. A selection of after-school opportunities are also available in the athletic, academic and fine arts realms.
- Fax: 952-988-4477
- Hours: Mon - Fri, 7:52am - 2:42pm; Sat, Sun, closed
- Handicap Accessible: There is a ramp for access.
- Number of students: 861
- Male-to-female ratio: 1:2
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 20:1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 42
- Features: Computer lab, Library, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities: West Junior High players, fine arts programs, Mannerly Manners Rules!, fencing, babysitting clinic, ski club, study strategies, Adventures in Bookmaking
- Sports teams: Volleyball, swimming, tennis, football, soccer, basketball, softball, track, sports adapted for athletes with cognitive and physical impairments
- Student clubs: Step team, strategic games/chess club, Helping Hands, animae club, Students Promoting Positive Actions, dungeons and dragons