The Hopkins City Council on Wednesday recognized eight property owners as this year’s Community Image Awards winners.
“I think that’s a record, and I think that that is indicative of how much investment and pride that we have continued to see in the community,” said Kersten Elverum, the city’s director of economic development and planning.
The city accepts nominations for outstanding properties throughout the year, with properties grouped into three categories. A five-member review committee votes to determine which properties receive the award. There is no limit on the number of winners; each property that receives four votes from committee members receives an award.
The goal is to recognize property owners who’ve made Hopkins a better place by improving their properties.
“It really makes a lot of difference when everybody fixes up their place like that. It just improves the quality of life for everybody,” said Mayor Gene Maxwell.
Judges' comments are in quotes.
Blake Antiques (901 Mainstreet)
- “Maintaining the downtown storefronts is so vital to Hopkins. Thank you!”
Smith Nielsen Automotive/Transmission Shop (302 Blake Road)
- “Bright & clean.” “New signage is … striking. The new red pain makes the building really pop.”
Ugorets Properties (410 11th Ave. S.)
- “The mere visual improvements are vast.”
Peace Valley Townhomes (700-800 Ninth Avenue South and 900-1000 Seventh Street South)
- “The Transformation is nothing short of exciting. This effort revitalizes a whole neighborhood.”
Sean Finnie and Karee Bohman (337 12th Ave. N.)
- “Selecting, planting, mulching & maintaining landscaping is a lot of work … thank you so much for going the extra mile!”
Jason and Heidi Freisinger (345 14th Ave. N.)
- “Beautiful, well-selected and well-placed landscaping.” “Great how little details can add so much!”
Dan Hoseck and Ivory Ruud (314 Sweet Briar Lane)
- “Awesome! Serious re-do. Design of front entry really nice. A great example of what can be done to update a home from the ’50s.”
Bob and Bonnie Quinn, 333 10th Ave. N.
- “The owners’ love for this home is evident. It’s immaculate.”