What's Open and Closed on Veterans Day in Hopkins?
Veterans Day is Sunday, so some businesses and City Hall will be closed Monday.
Veterans Day, Nov. 11, falls on a Sunday this year. That means some city offices, services and local businesses will be closed Sunday, while others will be closed Monday.
Veteran Day "originated as 'Armistice Day' on Nov. 11, 1919, the first anniversary of the end of World War I, according to the U.S. Census website. "Congress passed a resolution in 1926 for an annual observance, and Nov. 11 became a national holiday beginning in 1938. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed legislation in 1954 to change the name to Veterans Day as a way to honor those who served in all American wars."
- Banks: Most banks are closed on Monday, but you should check with your particular branch.
- Businesses: Some businesses could choose to close Sunday and/or Monday. Please call ahead before heading out to shop.
- City Hall: City Hall will be closed Monday.
- Hopkins Activity Center: The activity center will be open.
- Hopkins Center for the Arts: The arts center will be open.
- Fire: Firefighters will be working on Sunday and Monday.
- Hopkins Library: The library will be closed Sunday. It will be open regular hours Monday.
- Police: Police officers will be on duty Sunday and Monday.
- Transportation: Metro Transit will run on Sunday and Monday.