Authors to Speak at ‘A Celebration of Agates’
The international gathering will feature lectures and book signings
Editor’s Note: The following announcement comes from the Minnesota Mineral Club.
The public is invited to meet agate book authors at “A Celebration of Agates” July 27 to 29 in Minnetonka. The Minnesota Mineral Club is hosting the event in conjunction with the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies and the Midwest Federation of Mineralogical and Geological Societies.
A Celebration of Agates will be held at Lindbergh Center at Hopkins High School, 2400 Lindbergh Drive, Minnetonka. A full day of seminars will be held on Thursday, July 26, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and the agate show will run from Friday, July 27, through Sunday, July 29. Event hours are Friday, July 27, noon to 7 p.m.; Saturday, July 28, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday, July 29, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Authors of books on agates will appear at book signings throughout the show:
Friday, July 27, 2012
- 12 noon, John Hurst, “Dryhead Agate” (new release)
- 2 p.m., John D. Marshall, “The Other Lake Superior Agates”
- 3:30 p.m., Dr. Jens Götze, major contributor, “Agates III”
Saturday, July 28, 2012
- 9 a.m., James Magnuson, “Fairburn Agates of the Black Hills,” “The Storied Agate Book”
- 10:30 a.m., Roger Clark, “South Dakota’s Fairburn Agate,” “Fairburn Agate - Gem of South Dakota,” “South Dakota State Gemstone - Fairburn Agate”
- 12:30 p.m., Richard W. Ojakangas, “Roadside Geology of Minnesota,” “Minnesota Geology”
- 1 to 3 p.m., Bob and Dan R. Lynch, “Agates of Lake Superior - Stunning Varieties and How They Are Formed,” “Lake Superior Rocks and Minerals (Field Guide),” “Minnesota Rocks and Minerals (Field Guide),” “Lake Superior Agates (Field Guide - New in June 2012)”
- 2 p.m., Scott F. Wolter, “Amazing Agates - Lake Superior's Banded Gemstone,” “The Lake Superior Agate - Fourth Edition”
- 3:30 p.m., Karen Brzys, “Agates Inside Out,” “Understanding and Finding Agates”
Cost to attend the agate show is $5 per person, with children accompanied by adult attending free of charge. Parking is provided free of charge. Concessions will be available. More information is available online at: www.minnesotamineralclub.org.